…..a lack of FOCUS!
No, this is not a picture of me……it is how i am *feeling*……
Y’all truly deserve a *real* post by me, but it isn’t in the cards this time around. I guess this is a “snapshot” of right now:
- I broke my yarn diet…TWICE in 2 weeks. I figure I’ve been REALLY good for 18 months so I wanted to get some new yarn! In total, I got 4 skeins of sock yarn: 1 NORO Silk Garden Sock, 1 Regia Fluormania & 2 Naturally Waikiwi (ya need two skeins for 1 pair of socken), & 2 skeins of laceweight: 1 Madelintosh Prairie in Clematis, & 1 Maharashtra Silk in Navy. I guess I want to make socks & shawls…..You can see pictures on Ravelry.com in my stash section……
- I’m currently working on a Shaelyn shawl in Madelinetosh Prairie in a gorgeous semi-solid dark blue. I’m enjoying it so much, it put me over the top to buy the aforementioned M’tosh Prairie in Clematis
- more knitting is happening b/c the kitten is growing up. This is very happymaking!
- no pics ‘cos the camera is misplaced….again.
- Instead of huge amounts of yarn, I’m buying loads of sewing patterns & fabric, so I will begin a fabric & pattern fast….soon.
- Not much sewing is happening….at all.
- I’ve bought 3 quilting books & 1 quilting magazine in the last month.
- And more quilting fabric. Like enough to make my dream quilt for my bed.
- And batting for baby blankets….. I think I have a problem.
- My therapist has been difficult to get ahold of……
- I have been reading many, many sewing blogs. This *has* to STOP!
- I’ve broken through my writer’s block on my book, so a good deal of progress is being made. Yay!
- My weight loss has slowed way way down, mainly because of the mobility problems, but also b/c I’ve learned how to cheat really well. This *has* to STOP!
- Total weight lost since Jan. ’14 – 43 lbs.
- I cannot believe it has been FIVE years since Michael Jackson died….
- And now Bobby Womack is gone . :::sigh:::
- Am reading a wonderful biography right now called: I’ll Take You There: Mavis Staples, the Staple Singers, and the March up Freedom’s Highway by Greg Kot; I **HIGHLY*** recommend this book if you like soul or gospel music. If you are not familiar with Mavis Staples/the Staples Singers, I STRONGLY suggest you drop everything & get to listening!
- The Force of Nature is now a certified lifeguard. I knew she could do it!
- Parenting teenagers is a thankless job. The last 2 weeks were particularly thankless….
- My garden is all kind of peally-wally b/c I’ve been neglecting it (see mobility issues). Still the tomatoes will begin their inundation in a couple of weeks God willing.
- I’ve been thinking about ending my blog. Is seven or eight years enough? Does anybody care? Do I? I dunno….
- I really love Kiva.org , Indiegogo & Kickstarter.
- The One Human Family Workshop Choir is going on tour in August! First time in nine years……
I have so much more to write about everything here but Studmuffin & I are taking the Force of Nature to dinner to celebrate the lifeguardiness. The Duke of Curl is over at a friend’s house playing video games.
So, how are YOU?
…the month of APRIL.
- I’ve got TONS to SAY….but NO DESIRE to write it down.
- I have knitting pictures to share, still no mojo to put ’em up.
- I’m getting ready for the Force of Nature’s SIXTEENTH birthday, so I’ve been shopping and sewing.
- Down THIRTY SIX pounds so far…so I bought a birdbath.
- I have bought more sewing patterns this month than in the previous 15 years COMBINED. I’m disgusted with my own acquisitiveness. TRULY.
- Book is progressing. Slowly, but progressing.
- Garden is progressing – no faster than the book. Ugh.
- One more thing……
Yes, this is still a knitting blog (as much as it ever has been…..whatever!), but I am getting back into sewing and it will get mentioned here some. I am SO tired of paying lots of $ for ugly things that don’t fit. There is a recent SPECTACULAR blog post about this – everyone should read this I think. GET READY
I leave you with a few words from one of my favorite philosophers:
“Well, Art is Art, isn’t it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.
– Groucho Marx
Ok, so now I know that life has gone completely SCREWY but in this particular case – in a benign way…..
Think back to yesterday – remember how I won a book & 4 patterns?
Well, yester evening, I got an email telling me I had won the same book on Nancy Zieman’s blog!
Friends & neighbors, this might happen to others but it just does NOT happen to me!
I mean….come on….. I was born on Friday the 13th after all…Lady Luck & I have a rather distant relationship. Wow.
So I guess the Universe is telling me to get SEWING. And I will….but I promise it won’t take over dis here blog.
After marveling at this truly unexpected and wonderfully weird happening for a bit,
I wrote back to the lovely Lois, who manages this kind of thing for Nancy’s blog (I love it that Nancy Zieman – the most unlikely tv star ever- has ‘people’), explaining that I am indeed grateful for being chosen and thank you, yet I humbly request that someone else be chosen to receive it. Lois wrote back and said that they would do exactly that.
It’s the giveaway. Turkey is the symbol for self-sacrifice – the give away. I saw more turkey buzzards (at least I think they were; they could also have been Black Vultures) on my way to and from a gig in Murfreesboro on Sunday than I have ever seen – they were everywhere! Several of which flew RIGHT in front of the windshield so I couldn’t possibly miss them. Go here to read a little bit about what the buzzard/vulture can mean. So, in a couple of days (once I find the books I have to giveaway), I will be doing another giveaway here at Knitting & Whingeing.
I’m still shocked.
So last week while I had “the plague lite” – the nearly-pneumonia upper respiratory thing so many have had this winter and early spring, I was enjoying reading Nancy Zieman’s blog tour promoting her new book. I got to read some new blogs that I like very much and I put a comment with my name on 2 or 3 of the blogs hoping to win a book or pattern or something – but I don’t often win things. So I was shocked to my toenails when I got an email saying I had won!
Read all about it here: http://mariemadelinestudio.typepad.com This is a new blog for me; I’d already decided to start reading it BEFORE they chose me as the winner. Check them out.
I understand that I win Nancy’s new book:
and her 4 new patterns:
Now NONE of these patterns actually come in my size so I will be upsizing them but I have to make changes to EVERY pattern that I have so no big deal. 🙂 I was planning to get the book & all 4 patterns anyway, so I’m delighted that I will get them for no $ – Studmuffin will be happy when I tell him. Trust me – he will!
I promise that I will use them -yup, actually SEW them & not just buy lovely fabric- and write about them. I can hardly wait!!
Thank you so much Nancy Zieman & Marie Madelaine Studio!!