New post – old project

Ok so I lost my mind during March, maybe several times. It’s been an odd time for me – everything’s ok in general, but I’m not feeling normal… I’ve done almost nothing abut gardening which is SO UNLIKE ME.  SOmething’s up, but I dunno what it is.

There is almost no knitting getting done, so I thought I’d share a sewing project I did quite some time ago.


I bought this fabric several years ago to make shorts for the Force of Nature….but she didn’t like it (such an ungrateful child….kidding!). So I really wondered what on earth I was gonna do with it as its happy little aliens stared me down week after week.  Eventually inspiration struck – we have 2 ironing boards: a small tabletop one and a more normal sized one, both of which needed new covers – this stuff, being what is called a “quilting cotton” and on the heavier side, fit the bill!  I made the smaller one first – it doesn’t get used as much and I wouldn’t ruin nearly as much fabric making a big mistake. However, it went well and I only made a couple of tweaks on the larger one.


Since the up/down mechanism is busted (we use a screw-type C clamp to fix it in the upright position) the ironing board spends a fair amount of time in the living room. Studmuffin likes to watch TV as he’s ironing his work shirts, and when that’s not happening, Emmy the mini-panther loves to lay on it.P_20150409_140858

I was unable to get a picture of the thing WITHOUT the cat on it, so here she is.

It’s been about 18 months since I made these covers, and I must say this is one of my favorite makes ever! The print is so cheerful – it makes me happy every time I see it, and I see it a LOT.  I am quite grateful that my daughter didn’t want shorts after all (though she has said that she’d like a bowtie made out of the scraps: WIN-WIN).


I declare I will never have a boring ironing board cover again!