I keep seeing this same thing over & over, and it’s really bugging me! So, one of the things a blog is for…
is a rant/lecture/whatchamacallit. Ahem.
palate – noun – say “PAL-itt”
1. – the roof of the mouth, consisting of an anterior bony portion (hard palate) and a posterior muscular portion (soft palate) that separate the oral cavity from the nasal cavity.
******This is NOT the same word as:
pallet – noun – say “PAL-itt”
1. a small, low, portable platform on which goods are placed for storage or moving, as in a warehouse or vehicle. Often made of wood.
******Which is ALSO NOT the same word as:
palette – noun – say “pa-LET“
1. a thin and usually oval or oblong board or tablet with a thumb hole at one end, used by painters for holding and mixing colors.
2. any other flat surface used by a painter for this purpose.
3. the set of colors on such a board or surface.
4. the range of colors used by a particular artist.
5. the variety of techniques or range of any art: a lush but uneven musical palette.
…is it too much to ask that we be less careless about the language we use? Especially native speakers who speak no other language?
Perhaps this dieting business is making me rather humorless & grumpy……
You may resume your life now. :o)