Another Secret Pal!!! How do I love thee? Let me count the ways……
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I like to knit with yarns that are very soft to the touch: merino wool, alpaca, bamboo/wool and silk/wool blends. I like sock yarns with a good, tight twist like Lorna’s Laces, Koigu, STR and Jitterbug (I’ve never been able to score any Wollmeise). I don’t knit with pure acrylic unless it is incredibly soft and of very high quality. Cotton, linen and hemp are just too hard on my hands. Of course my absolute favorite thing would be to get 4 skeins of Noro Silk Garden in bright colors for yet another striped scarf. What can I say? I’m addicted.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Mostly WIPs. Otherwise I have a couple of CD wallets that do just fine.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I’ve been knitting for over 30 years (thanks Grammy). I’m an advanced knitter
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I have an incredibly long Amazon wishlist….I guess I should update that….
5. What’s your favorite scent?
Grapefruit body mists are my favorite.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I like semi-sweet chocolate, dark chocolate and coffee flavored jelly beans.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I crochet, sew, do pysanky, garden, cook, and fiddle around with machines. I don’t spin on purpose (even tho I have a drop spindle that I got over 20 years ago); I do NOT need another obsession.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I love all kinds of music (I really do) with the possible exceptions of opera and death metal, and I can play mp3s.
9. What’s your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can’t stand?
Jewel tones – blues, purples, reds, greens are my favorites. I also like “berry” colors – burgundy and such. I’m not too fond of neon colors, acid greens, yellows or oranges (I’m picky about those).
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I’m married with 3 kids (one is grown and on his own). I have 2 dogs and a cat.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Hmmm. Ixnay on the onchopays; I’m good with all the rest.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Right now, I’m crazy about socks and mittens. You should see my Ravelry faves list…..
13. What are you knitting right now?
Socks, scarves, a lace shawl, mittens, and a gansey for the hubby.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
I’d love to receive handmade gifts.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Circulars rule! Give me Addi Lace or Hiya Hiyas every time.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
My oldest UFO has actually become a sentimental artifact now that it’s at LEAST 20+ years old.
18. What is your favorite holiday? What winter holiday do you observe?
My favorite holiday is probably Thanksgiving but not because of all the decorations – it’s the food. I’m a Baha’i so I don’t have a winter holiday to observe per se, but I do love thinkgs with a snowflake motif and I’ve collected Christmas music from all over the world for about 20 years now.
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Christmas music, hand percussion instruments (I’m a musician), silly kids’ jokes, yarn of course and silver dangly earrings.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I would love to get some of the sock patterns by Red Bird Knits, or any of Anna Zilboorg’s books (you know, if you just happen to have one hanging around…). I subscribe to Interweave Knits, am thinking about subbing to Vogue Knitting.
21. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn?
Entrelac is my next frontier.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes, I am. My foot circumference is HUGE (I have size 11 feet)! I wouldn’t subject my pal to knitting for my enormous gunboats. :o)
23. When is your birthday?
Decmber 13th – I’ll be 40 – YAY!
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what’s your ID?
I’m on Ravelry, my ID is Helenkosings. Let’s be friends!