Thanks to everyone who guessed. I had a lot of fun with this. I’ll probably do it again in a year (that is – if I remember). If you haven’t seen some of these movies, I strongly recommend that you do so, except for maybe the first one (it’s really strange. It’s my favorite but it’s still *really* strange.).
1. (no one even tried to guess this one)
-I don’t want to talk about it.
– Everything is okay, I just don’t want to talk about it.
– But sometimes it’s good to talk things over, Jeffrey. For instance, they say that many marriages are saved by people…
– Aunt Barbara, I love you but you’re gonna get it.
from Blue Velvet, directed by David Lynch
2. ( it’s funny – all my kids knew this one)
-I read somewhere their periods attract bears. Bears can smell the menstruation.
-Well, that’s just great. You hear that, Ed? Bears. Now you’re putting the whole station in jeopardy.
from Anchorman, starring Will Ferrell
3.– Awfully decent of you to drop in today. Do you realize our army is facing disastrous defeat? What do you intend to do about it?
– I’ve done it already.
– You’ve done what?
– I’ve changed to the other side.
– So you’re on the other side, eh? Well, what are you doing over here?
– Well, the food is better over here.
from Duck Soup; spring_violet
– Would you care to join us, Mr Schneebly?
– Did I say that correctly? “Schneebly”
– Actually, it’s “Schnayblay”
from School of Rock; heyrhiannon
5.(1st person) – This is an intergalactic emergency. I need to commandeer your vessel to Sector 12. Who’s in charge here?
(large group) – The Claw!
(2nd person) – The Claw is our master.
(3rd person) – It decides who will go and who will stay.
(4th person) – Oh, this is ludicrous.
– Hey, kid, kid… who’s in charge here?
– You are, and I’m not a kid, I have pointy SHOES that are older than you… I’m an elf.
from The Santa Clause, starring Tim Allen (It was a surprise to me how much I liked this movie the first time I saw it [on vhs – not the theater]. It has become a regular tradition at our house. )
– Getting into trouble a little early today, aren’t we, (name of main character)?
– Trouble? No way. You’re only in trouble if you get caught.
– I’m in trouble.
from Aladdin, yes the animated Disney version. Still a really fun movie 15 years later.
– You are amazingly self-assured, has anyone ever told you that?
– I tell myself that every day, actually.
from 10 Things I Hate about You, starring Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger. I got this right after I started watching Heath Ledger. A better than usual teen movie. Larry Miller is *really* funny as the dad.
– I have been looking all over for you, where have you been?
– I have been here. I have been sleeping.
– In a frilly shirt and slacks?
– They are my PJ’s
from Nacho Libre, starring Jack Black There are so many funny lines in this movies, especially concerning what he’s wearing…..and one of my favorite bands of all time, Los Lobos, is on the soundtrack.
10. – Why don’t you kiss her instead of talking her to death?
– You want me to kiss her, huh?
– Ah, youth is wasted on the wrong people.
from It’s a Wonderful Life; firstname.lastname@example.org
– If there’s anything around here more important than my ego, I want it caught and shot now!
from The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy starring Mos Def and Zooey Deschanel The guy who plays Zaphod Beeblebrox in this movie did a terrific job (he was also in Galaxy Quest). Don’t miss seeing Bill Nighy as Slartibartfast. The best adaptation of Douglas Adams’ work I’ve yet seen.
– Hey, I brought you something to… AH! NO, NO, NO, NO! SPIT THAT OUT RIGHT NOW! I have got to teach you about food. Close your eyes. Now take a bite of this… No, no, no! Don’t just hork it down!
– Too late.
from Ratatouille, Laura
– Now, it says, uh, “The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part.”
– Well, I don’t know about that…
– Now what’s the matter?
– I no like-a the second party, either.
– Well, you should’ve come to the first party. We didn’t get home ’til around four in the morning. I was blind for three days!
from A Night at the Opera , starring the Marx Brothers. You HAVE to see this movie, have to, have to, have to! It’s just about 80 years old and still d*mn funny! You’ll never look at hard boiled eggs the same way again.
14.– Look at my hand [raises hand and holds it level]
– Steady as a rock.
– But this is the hand I shoot with [raises the other, incredibly wobbly hand]
– Jerry, Jerry, will you take my advice? Forget about the whole thing, will ya? Just keep telling yourself: you’re a boy, you’re a boy.
– I’m a boy.
– That’s the boy.
– I’m a boy. I’m a boy. I wish I were dead. I’m a boy. Boy, oh boy, am I a boy. Now, what am I gonna do about my engagement present?
– What engagement present?
– Osgood gave me a bracelet.
– [takes it and inspects the stones with glasses] Hey, these are real diamonds!
– Of course they’re real! What do you think – my fiance is a bum?
from Some Like It Hot; spring_violet
I couldn’t quite stop at 15….
16. – Aunt Josephine?
– Never heard of her.
– Doesn’t it strike you odd that none of our relatives are related to us?
from A Series of Unfortunate Events; email@example.com
17.– [through speakeasy’s door] Who are you?
– I’m fine, thanks, who are you?
– I’m fine too, but you can’t come in unless you give the password.
– Well, what is the password?
– Aw, no. You gotta tell me. Hey, I tell what I do. I give you three guesses. It’s the name of a fish.
– Is it Mary?
– Ha-ha. That’s-a no fish.
– She isn’t? Well, she drinks like one. Let me see: Is it sturgeon?
– Hey, you crazy. Sturgeon, he’s a doctor cuts you open when-a you sick. Now I give you one more chance.
– I got it. Haddock.
– That’s-a funny. I gotta haddock, too.
– What do you take for a haddock?
– Well-a, sometimes I take-a aspirin, sometimes I take-a Calamel.
– Say, I’d walk a mile for a Calamel.
– You mean chocolate calamel. I like that too, but you no guess it. Hey, what’s-a matter, you no understand English? You can’t come in here unless you say, “Swordfish.” Now I’ll give you one more guess.
– …swordfish, swordfish… I think I got it. Is it “swordfish”?
– Hah. That’s-a it. You guess it.
– Pretty good, eh?
from Horse Feathers; spring_violet